PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna C208B down near Seattle, 4 deceased
Old 21st Dec 2022, 00:04
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
In that dive the ADS-B GS reaches 197 kt in the dive. So the airspeed was probably faster and beyond Vne.
And this is the part of the equation which is alluding me a little... The airplane moved forward around 3000 feet while losing around 7000 feet of altitude, so more down than forward. If the "forward" is the base of the triangle, described as "groundspeed", and peaked at 197 kts, and the "down" is the altitude lost, the motion along the hypotenuse of the triangle would represent the actual airpseed?

It is very sad for the crew, the last part of that ride was terrifying!
I’m sure, although possibly less so than one might imagine.
Yes terrifying. Very sadly, there will be no memories of the crew. That said, having experienced my own terrifying experience when a training flight went wrong, I can say that I have very little recollection of it at all. Only enough, to know that yes, it did happen to us. That, and another extremely traumatic experience a couple of years back, which I know I witnessed in its full horrifying duration but do not recall at all, have me convinced that the mind simply turns off observation when things get really really bad. I hope this for the crew, as I would for any person experiencing sheer terror, with zero opportunity to mitigate it. The movies show us an increasingly terrified pilot hurtling toward earth and a certain death. That's the movies, I think (hope, anyways) that our actual life experience has some kind of built in protection for our emotions.