PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2022, 23:55
KrisKringle

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by biscuit74
The Coroner is obliged to rule on what, in her opinion was the underlying cause or causes. That she has now done.
This gives some clarity to the victims' relatives and friends, unlike the rather poorly handled criminal trial. This verdict seems to accord with the views of quite a number of people with appropriate & relevant aviation experience, sadly.

It is, I think, quite feasible that civil prosecution(s) of Mr Hill could follow, perhaps either to try to get fuller acknowledgement from him or for damages. Not necessarily very useful, but possible.
The criminal trial may not have been the verdict that many biased by news snippets and rumour wanted to hear but 'poorly handled' it was not. I get it, we want someone to pin all the blame for a tragedy, that is human nature, and the pilot who ultimately caused the crash is the obvious person. This coroner's verdict saves the complexity of investigating those that set up an unsafe environment for which only a public enquiry could have the time and resources to explore.

However, If you mean 'poorly handled' is listening to a broad range of experts and witnesses under cross-examination by the UK's best QCs in front of an impartial judge and jury then I would suggest you views of the criminal trial is bizarrely warped. Did this coroner seek a broad range of SMEs with different analyses and opinions and did she, or the lawyers represented, cross examine them? Did she only seek those experts who had a purpose to hide their own (or their organisation's) deficiencies which set up the inevitable tragedy? I don't know as I've only read news snippets.