PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remains of WW2 crew 'stored by collector'
Old 20th Dec 2022, 17:19
_Agrajag_

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
For those with an interest in old aviation crash sites, I've just tried to find the location of the place where we played as kids and found bits of wreckage. This is based on my memory from over 60 years ago, so is at best sketchy, and we moved away from Higher Denham out to Gerrards Cross in 1961, and I've never been back there since. I am absolutely certain that it was south of the railway line, and north of Old Rectory Lane, as we didn't go under the tunnel under the railway line to get there.

No idea at all if the area was ever properly excavated, but I do remember that there were bomb craters all around. We lived on Lower Road, Higher Denham, at the time, with the Martin Baker factory at the very end of that road (it's visible to the left of this OS map clip, just above the word "weir"), which may well have been a wartime target, perhaps? I have a feeling that it may have been an aircraft factory during the war, but had switched to making ejection seats when we lived there. I clearly remember the loud bangs from them testing them on a vertical crane-like structure they had down there.

Perhaps might be better if I posted in this in the history area, maybe the mods can best decide on that. The red ellipse is roughly where I think the crash site was: