PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol and Flying: The New Law
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2004, 20:15
5by5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Now call me thick but would somebody please define what is meant by 'a positive breath test' ?

One fully understands that if one blows into the breath-test device and that it then displays a reading that is clearly in excess of the limit then one will be hauled off to provide a blood sample.

However, if one were to blow into the breath-test device and it produces a reading that is below the 'limit', but ( and this is the important bit ) it is not zero, would one similarly be hauled off to provide a blood sample ? I.e. would the mere fact that one might have a token trace of alcohol upon ones breath, even if it was below the specified breath test 'limit', be cause for further, more detailed, investigation back at the Police station ?

E.g.

Copper: "We have reason to believe.... blah blah blah...... please blow into this breath-testing device".

Airline/ATC person: 'puffffffff.....'

Copper: "Uhm, you appear to have registered 0.19. As you might be aware the limit is 0.20 and you are less than that. So, sorry to have bothered you, please be on your way, have a safe flight".

Or will it be ?:

Copper: "Uhm, you appear to have registered 0.19 As you might be aware the limit is 0.20 and whilst you seem to be under the limit I would like you to accompany me to the station so that we might undertake a more detailed investigation".

So which one is it ?