PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ‘Suicidal Pilots are becoming main cause of fatalities’
Old 20th Dec 2022, 04:52
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Zombywoof , I understand that CAA v Stewart is unpublished so it's not possible to examine the reasons for the decision, however DaveReidUK appears to have offered an explanation.

I note the article stated that an appeal was made, but that it was dismissed. I wasn't able to find said appeal, so either my research skills are lacking, or if any appeal was made it may have been to the CAA and not via the Courts.

Either way this was tragic, and I can imagine that Capt Stewart felt very strongly that he had no hope of justice prevailing. A full and proper investigation should have been carried out by the AAIB first, and any decision to begin proceedings extremely well considered out following that - not in the least what the CAA expected they and the aviation community would gain from such an action, and exactly how it would have helped Capt Stewart improve his skills (had that been determined necessary).

Lack of justice, improperly applied due process, and organisations with unlimited funding that are run by people who experience no moral or personal hazard (and who can act as judge+jury+executioner) can lead to deeply significant despair. While this isn't restricted to aviation circles it sees to me that the grounds are fertile for injustice to occur here, and as such the mental health of those involved adversely affected.

Just as with most aviation incidents or accidents I doubt that any responsible organisation would deliberately set out to be reckless or cause irreparable damage to anyone, however the hazard exists, and if it were to occur it should be as thoroughly investigated and properly dealt with. If this doesn't happen then, for multiple reasons, it will not lead to better outcomes, nor improve mental health amongst pilots.

FP.