PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2004, 18:35
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monarch

Hi TD&H,

It would be a nutter indeed who spent £200k on a restoration, only to give most of it away immediately to the new owner.

If I took on something like that I would expect to be cremated in it - Viking style!

Seriously though, there are a number of aircraft out there for sale for just a fraction of the cost of rebuild. One that springs to mind is the pretty little wooden Sokol (have I got that right?) retractable.

It was advertised extensively last year - likely no takers(?) and possibly still for sale. I think it was around £37k.

The classic car thing is the same.

My DB5 is probably worth £50k but would cost twice that or even more to rebuild to its present condition. (I paid £1500 for it but thats a story that takes us off-topic!).

Unlike cars though, there is a very limited market for obscure and expensive-to operate flying machines. Great news for nutters like me but not if you need to sell, especially if you are in any hurry.

I am not sure when Gordon Spooners beautiful Messenger G-AJWC, a concours ground-up rebuild, will come up for sale. However, his latest Navion project is progressing well and the Messenger will at some stage be sold I guess.

It cost him - without any exaggeration, a billion pounds to do...

Oh yes, and a squillion man hours beavering away in his workshop.

Exquisite.

HP