PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mass and balance new question
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2022, 06:09
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john_tullamarine
5 of which you would *never* do in normal like flying

Let's not worry too much about how we might count steps. However, as I see it, the steps required are straightforward and perfectly relevant to normal flying, regardless of aircraft size. Perhaps I am getting a bit slow in my dotage and you can show me which bits are those which one "would never do in normal (like) flying" ? For that, I would be very grateful.
Bless my phone’s spellcheck it subbed ‘line’ for ‘like’ which doesn’t help. The question is based around a 737/A320 type aircraft. In such an aircraft the most you’d be expected to do on the load sheet is to work out where to sign it. With Airbus now completing the fly smart rollout the days of doing that are also in the past. Take off calculations are just punching stuff into an iPad.

Granted, you could theoretically work for Bill’s Boeings who operate one 727 from a shed in and therefore do it all in house, but the returns from these exams are diminishing every day.

Learning in extreme detail how the inner workings of gyroscopic instruments work… Why?! It’s just wasted knowledge which is dumped the second the exam is gone.

I’d argue the six months full time groundschool could be stripped right down to 3 or 4 exams you could do in two or three months. It’s not 1971, we need to accept that.

It would be interesting if courses like MPLs could start like that. Flying a 320 for easyJet at the end of the course? Great, you can immediately write off 75% of the content as a total waste of time as it is as relevant to your day to day operating of the aircraft as a strong grasp of Swahili would be, the latter probably being more interesting to learn!

Last edited by VariablePitchP; 19th Dec 2022 at 11:15.