PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mass and balance new question
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2022, 09:44
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
They’re doing ATPL exams, the P standing for pilot, not philosopher.

True. However, both questions are dead simple and well within the grasp of a private pilot, providing he/she understands what is meant by MAC and is able to run a simple load sheet. It would be quicker just to do the problems rather than argue why they are stupid.

5 of which you would *never* do in normal like flying

Let's not worry too much about how we might count steps. However, as I see it, the steps required are straightforward and perfectly relevant to normal flying, regardless of aircraft size. Perhaps I am getting a bit slow in my dotage and you can show me which bits are those which one "would never do in normal (like) flying" ? For that, I would be very grateful.

There seems to be this obsession with making the questions difficult,

If one has a basic understanding of what is required to solve the problem, the questions cited are extremely simple. They would only be difficult for those who have an inadequate understanding of what is required.

This would be horrendous time suck in an exam

Not really. The first question should take, perhaps, 20-30 seconds to read and draw the story in a simple sketch and, perhaps, another 20-30 seconds to figure the answers. The second question requires one to realise that the datum needs to be relocated to the LEMAC but then is absolutely dead simple. Unfortunately, the question has no solution due to the RTOM's being too limiting. If the RTOM were a bit higher, though, all would be fine.

As a matter of interest, what answer did you get?

For the first question, as for post #2. However, one would normally give the answer, at the least, to the first decimal.

For the second question, it doesn't have a solution as the numbers don't work.

As to whether this question is practical, of course it isn't. I have 50 years' worth of weights and other engineering and I can't ever recall seeing any aircraft with such a station arrangement. As I suggested before, though, the aim is to test some fundamental knowledge in the theory training and examinations. The practical stuff is the province of the sim and the line check.

I can remember (only just, this far removed in time) on my B727 ground school, the instructor's observing that none of us would be permitted to fail the exams - if we needed to fail the endorsement, the checkies would address that requirement in the sim and the local proficiency work following the exams.

I made it but my answer is slightly more than it should be just wonder if I did something wrong.

Your comment suggests that you probably have the MAC thing well and truly under control. Let me guess, you were a bit under 350 kg fat on the RTOM ?