PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part 121, 135 and so on
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2022, 22:50
bafanguy

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenCardWinner

My wife and I entered the green card lottery and the impossible happened and we were chosen by the system.

Unfortunately, the hours are not recognized in the USA.

How did you solve the problem and how do I have to deal with it.
GCW,

Your hours are recognized; they already have been. They apparently counted enough for you to get an FAA ATPL. What they won't allow you to do is slide into the LHS seat of an FAA Part 121 airline operation...regardless of your excellent qualifications. It's FAA regulations and may be illogical in your case but it's the government's game and the government's rules. There is no way to "solve" that problem but to get that magic 1,000 hours of Part 121 flight time to allow upgrade to captain if that's your immediate goal.

See this: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.436

In the meantime...

The way to deal with that is, once you get that green card in your hands, apply to EVERY FRIKKIN' AIRLINE IN THE USA...ALL THE BIG ONES. You might be surprised at the outcome. You'll still need that 1,000 hours and whatever seniority you might have at that point will determine your ability to upgrade to captain. But, if you get to DL, AA, UA, UPS, Spirit, Frontier, FedEx, SWA, etc, ( and you just might) you'll be sitting pretty. You'll do time in the RHS and be ruled by seniority for anything beyond that. Can't fight City Hall on the regulations.

Good luck in your efforts.