PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-4
Thread: Edinburgh-4
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2022, 12:26
Rutan16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Maybe in this context? If impressive load factor figures are being mentioned the size of aircraft is relevant, especially if it is smaller than originally scheduled. Anyway as we all know load factors don't tell you much. As the old saying goes, any fool can fill an aircraft, it's filling it and making money that is the difficult bit.
Exactly this, it’s a few spotter types on every thread lacking crucial business acumen and when sort of challenged they get a little defensive.

Has Edinburgh as an airport been successful under GIP yes; we have seen a massive growth of services - many from/to Europe in particular due in no small part to the EU open sky policies ( now lost) and indeed strong work by the Scottish administration and Visit Scotland aboard to encourage inbound travellers .

Some of the routes such as Rotterdam, Paris Orly and the Scandinavian/Nordic/ Faroese routes are definitely inbound biased.

Has GIP and Visit Scotland also been successful in the US; recently certainly however caveat the previous referred factors in 2022 particularly.

Through there have been disappointments notably via the UAE and beyond - Both carriers are currently OUT of the market, so is that an indication that volumes ( out bound point of sale ) going East and further aren’t as strong as some believe ?

Hainan’s short Chinese service didn’t deliver the expectations of CAISSA even before COVID struck.

I am ( personal opinion) less than convinced that Westjet will be able to make Calgary work as a hub; several flights a week from Edinburgh ( on a Dreamliner no less) seems exceptionally risky both with adequate range of connectivity and ability for a balanced revenue bundle. I think they are making a grave mistake but we shall see in 18 months or sooner ( not just on the Edinburgh route )

Toronto performs okay in high season through the clientele have morphed and changed over the years - long gone VFR mothers and daughters and several 747s from Ayr and Manchester each day.

Whilst I don’t entirely know I suspect GIP are wanting their money out because the airport has peaked in the growth curve at least in the short to mid term and the required investment in the existing infrastructure and return/ recovery has the potential to damage the parent gearing levels.
Considered opportunity risk “may” well be elsewhere for them.

Last edited by Rutan16; 17th Dec 2022 at 18:28.