PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADHD/ASD and CASA medicals
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2022, 23:17
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a PPL holder in the UK diagnosed with ASD in early childhood, CASA's approach does seem somewhat dystopian.

My first aviation medical experience was to get a glider pilot medical signed off by my GP. There were no problems (having a stable office career at the time helped) and I had a chat with the CFI of the gliding club about it and he was fine with it too. PPL flying was beyond my budget at the time.

After finding the training cost associated with a career as a pilot to be prohibitive, I decided to pursue a career as a train driver. I passed the psychometric tests and after trying interviews at a few companies (I'm not great at competency-based interviews) was offered a job. At the medical, I put ASD on the form and had a chat with the doctor about it at the end of the medical. We had a chat about aviation (he had a lapsed PPL), he compared the traits required of a safe train driver with traits commonly found in ASD. His conclusion was that I was quite rare because I had a medical condition which would make me better at my job.

About a year after qualifying as a train driver, I went to get a CAA Class 2. I mentioned ASD on the form and the AME's view was that it shouldn't be much of a problem, after all I'm a train driver. He had a chat with the CAA and a letter from my GP confirming no recent adverse history was enough. The flying club I did my PPL at was fine with it, the Skills Test examiner asked after issuing a pass if I'd thought about becoming an instructor.

Shortly afterwards, with just over three years as a train driver (my PPL took a while due to the pandemic), I became a train driver instructor. I've been doing that for just over a year now but I'm due to move from a suburban operator to an intercity one in the new year which means I'll go back to being a regular driver.

It's a bit academic since I'm in the UK but I wonder what CASA would expect a PPL instructor to write about me on Form 420?