PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dallas air show crash
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2022, 17:32
WideScreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
I think I’m a bit sceptical about relying on instantaneous data from an 80 years old pitot-static system in an aircraft that may not be flying in balance. I’m certainly sceptical that whatever g forces were involved would induce “puking and disorientation”! Are you a pilot? Have you flown aerobatics? (Acrobatics for our US members)
Intriguing, that an "after-market" Mode-C device in a war-bird would deliver lower quality altitude information, than a similar one in a 30-years old C172. Flying a war-bird without a proper functioning pitot-static system doesn't look that wise to me, either. It's pretty basic stuff, nothing special. And the video shows, the calibration differs a little between the P-63 and the P-51, see my earlier posting, though not that much, that it would be worrying. I've flown C172s, obviously significantly more out of calibration, already at 1500 ft AGND.

The issue with "aerobatics" is not the amount of G-forces for the P-63 (for aerobatics a piece of cake), but the track/altitude/speed indications of the P-63, signaling, things aren't going that well: Too close to the P-51, significant positive VS, for a tame war-bird display extreme negative VS (as well the quoted "negative-G" reverting from the positive VS), as well the "direct to" the display entry marker course. All items that should not have happened, though, add up to the out-of-mental-pilot-control collision. Feel free to call this something else as "behind the aircraft".

With my added remark: "Where would the P-63 have end-up, IF the B-17 was not there ?". All indications show, the P-63 might have ended-up entering the display visitors area, at ground-level.