PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-4
Thread: Edinburgh-4
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2022, 18:30
Rutan16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
EDI has a strong inbound pull for seasonal tourism, it's a great city break as well as the clear long haul gateway to Scotland and parts of Northern England. Have the management at EDI cut a good deal with their airlines? I should imagine so, compare this to GLA who simply can't compete anymore. I
am surprised UA offer IAD, EWR and ORD, it used to be 2 x EWR and I was impressed by that. But summer traffic is much about US tourists making the best use of $USD buying power in years. Which partly explains why old favourite Orlando is on the floor while BOS/IAD have bounced back.

Flipping the question, how come MAN can't hold onto a single US carrier? Perhaps there's something to be said for cutting a deal?
Skip go read my earlier post I acknowledged that Edinburgh has high albeit exceptionally seasonal US point of sale advantage; we aren’t disagreeing in anyway !

What I was simply saying and for third time use of the 764 was for utilisation on the short seasonal service and should not be considered in isolation of empirical evidence for very high demand or profitability and you of all know that scenario well enough.

As for Manchester sure the dynamic is very much UK point of sale however I remain of the opinion United will return in 2024 with the replacement of the 757 .

I also expect Delta to open Boston in the same time frame and I have read somewhere ( third hand so no citation afraid to say) that MAG are seeking restoration of San Francisco probably with Virgin again 2024 seems likely.

Delta remains present in the market via the VS joint venture on New York and Atlanta routes in particular.

I do have concerns for the strength of Orlando particularly through the second half of 2023 with current domestic economic conditions.

MAG - May yet be making deals however I have no specific evidence either way.

Since the reopening of most international traffic flows, massive labour shortages I think MAG Group has been prioritising and consolidating rather than expanding - that said Kuwait and Gulf Air have been added whilst Hong Kong and mainland China services have been restored .

And the guys and lassies from Dallas have abandoned almost everywhere in Europe sans Heathrow and their mates hubs in EU centres.

Only exception of any significance being Italy and a cruise season to Athens

Now would this post probably be better in the dedicated Manchester thread sure but I think the points are pertinent right here in explaining the entire reason for the comments up stream specifically the use of the 764 by United nothing else.

I haven’t commented on Chicago largely because it was an even shorter season and I don’t know enough about why United even bothered to be honest - As a transit a hub for both AA and UA it’s had its day