PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Marines deployed on ‘high-risk covert operations’ in Ukraine
Old 14th Dec 2022, 15:46
Flyhighfirst

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by _Agrajag_
A mate tells me that there are people around the towns close to a well-known UK training area speaking Ukrainian. Hard to keep the fact that we, along with other countries, are providing training, secret.

There's also the point that every man and his dog will have realised from the first announcement that we were sending them kit that it would be completely useless without a training package to go with it. Not sure this is really an operational security breach, really, at this stage when UK provided weapons have been very publicly seen in action in theatre (NLAW to give one prominent example).
It’s not a secret that Ukrainians are here training. I think the last count was 10000 have been here so far for training. The BBC has even interviewed some leaving the training grounds. It’s not a national secret! There have been government press releases on the numbers trained.

As to the article it mentions troops used for diplomatic security. Of course they were there. Just like every other country had a military presence for their diplomats.

It is pretty sure most western countries also have special forces in Ukraine, but I doubt in any combat roles. More training, planning… for what good they could be in the bigger picture, it most likely wouldn’t be worth the risk putting them in combat operations, and having them appear at a show trial In Moscow.