PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines Mahoosive order
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2022, 14:49
ATNotts

Received 331 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by supermarine
Cheers Dave, quality feedback.

Perhaps you are not as bothered as I am about all the Climate Goblins and Just Stop Oil protesters filling social media with how flying will be restricted to the elite in the future.

Even here in Wales the Welsh Government despite owing an airport are anti flying and desperate to lower the minimal carbon footprint of its citizens.which is a joke as all

us Taffies drive over the Severn Bridge to Bristol for our jollies.

Therefore Dave, it delights me the thought of a mahoosive order of aircraft means that the Gretas and her ilk are not really making much oif a dent into restricting air travel.

Hope this helps Dave, if not , then Au Revoir and toodle pip old bean.
I really think you may be missing the point so far as the "mahoosive" (what an utterly stupid word!!) order. The aircraft they will at least partially replace are far less fuel efficient, therefore, though I doubt that United would say that in so many words, they are actually playing to Greta's tune, as indeed are many businesses around the world, though granted a lot of "greenwash garbage" is spouted by corporate PR machines.

To deny, first that climate change is happening, and that human actions through ever increasing emissions of CO2 is to deny scientific fact, though there are of course those who would dispute that. Aviation is going to continue, and probably grow, but it will need to do that in a sustainable manner else governments will step in an force them to do so. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I would like my grand children to live out their lives in a world at least no worse, from a climate standpoint than we have today, and if that requires governments that you dismiss to readily to force aviation to cut its emissions I'm four square behind them.

On a positive note, looking at how far commercial aviation has come in reducing emissions, and noise pollution in the last 50 or so years there is cause for optimism that gainful employment in the aviation, travel and tourism sectors aren't going to become extinct any time soon, at least not on the back of drastic efforts to reduce the speed of climate change.