PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dallas air show crash
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2022, 21:09
punkalouver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman
In part, you are correct. If you have a look at the UK CAA document CAP403 you will see how we do it in the UK. As the Flying Display Director (Air Boss in UK) my job is the safety of the display from all aspects. That said, if there is a multi-aircraft item displaying I might suggest a scenario and let the crews work out how to safely carry it out. I, or one of the Flying Control Committee (FCC), who are all display experts, will then look at the plan, listen to the briefing and watch the "walk through". We would highlight, at the planning stage, any concerns we might have or any suggestions. I would also ask for a "ribbon diagram" of the planned flight so that I, and the FCC, can watch to see that the display is following the briefing.

Once airborne, I would not expect to make (or ask ATC to make) any calls to them other than to Stop them if I was unhappy or Terminate them if some external issue may affect the safety of their display; there are also, effectively, advisory calls of Too Low and Too Close. Unlike, I believe, the Air Boss system, the airfield is still controlled by ATC so they are in charge of flying operations with me advising them what (I think!) is happening next.
Seems to be similar to my limited experience in Canada. The Air Boss cleared us onto the taxiway and runway and told us when the airspace was clear.

He would not be telling us how to fly our display except for the rules at the morning briefing.

If there is a problem, such as a transient aircraft violating airspace, he will let us know.