PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last ever 747 has left the factory
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2022, 05:11
Anilv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really appreciate that I managed to work on practically all models of 747s except the 747-8 and -8f. This includes, -100, -200, -300, -400, SPs, Combis and freighters. Functions include ramp-loading, loadsheet, pax handling.

One notable oddity was a cargo charter operated by an IRIAF (Islamic Republic Iran Air Force) 747 freighter. This was a 747 air-tanker which had cargo capability... imagine my surprise when I went on board and found positions SL/SR and T were given over to the boom operator. Also this aircraft came with mil spec pallets... 88 X 108inches and not the more usual 88/96 x 125inch pallets. While the aircraft locks were configured for these pallets, the pallet nets themselves could not accomodate the full height of 118inches as the nets would only go up to around 70 inches. As the charterer had expected a 747 load, they were a bit upset as there was a lot of space wasted due to the smaller footprint of the pallet and lowered heights. We managed to squeeze a bit more load (increase the height) onto the pallets by using normal ropes to make up the shortfall of the nets.. The mil spec pallet do not use rings/seatrack like normal pallets but are tied down to d-rings along the edge. This would be in the early 90s.

Anilv