PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Port & Starboard versus Left and Right
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2022, 21:48
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by India Four Two
I remember one of my friends wrote Port and Starboard on his white leather flying gloves!

Speaking of flying gloves, why did the RAF persist in using white gloves? They were particularly unsuitable for preflighting a Gipsy Major-powered aircraft! I think I went through a pair a year. Nowadays I have a pair of black USAF Nomex gloves. Much more practical.
Many are the aviators who labelled their flying gloves, almost as a badge of pride!

I always assumed the white cape leather was there to make hand signals more obvious; green was introduced for some years but I believe white is available these days? All brands of UK Mil, not just the RAF

On an aside, relating to being visible, when we trialed the then-new green LSJs the first thing we noticed when strapped in was that we could see the instruments without the usual yellow reflections we were used to from the old jackets. Similarly, in FJ vs Wessex intercept trials the glaring aiming point for all jet jockeys was the pilot's white helmet; but many, many years passed before the helmets were changed to green.