PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - *Important Safety Announcement* - RAF Odiham
Old 9th Dec 2022, 00:04
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
Many moons ago, as ATC Sup at a top secret ufo base in SW England, I was contacted by Ops to see if I would talk to an irate lady about a noise complaint.

Nothing else to do as the little green men were out by Orion, I duly took the call to break the early evening boredom.

Her main gripe was that one of "our" helicopters was causing such a racket beyond her garden fence that her viewing pleasure of deadenders was totally ruined cause she couldn't hear the telly. Not being a fan, I said something about it probably improving the storyline, which garnered no reaction. Perhaps she didn't hear me properly over the noise which I could hear in the background.

We had nothing on comms, nothing showing on radar so I asked her if it had any markings she could see to help identify it. She put the phone down and tootled off and came back a few moments later and said "It's got a big blue and red circle on it, and it says "no step" on the side of it"!

Turns out it was an SF wokka having a play in the field at the other side of her garden fence. Pretty close for her to see what she did.

Anyway, It left as we were talking and she thanked me for helping, and hung up.

A few mins later a random chinook called up for a MATZ crossing and then all became clear.