PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - France Bans Short Range Flights
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2022, 18:24
Flyhighfirst

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by m0nkfish
At least France has a decent rail network. I can't imagine the carnage if they tried this in the UK, not to mention the expense as rail tickets are astronomical.

So much for hub and spoke in France I guess! Sucks to be a passenger trying to get from some remote location to somewhere like Lyon. Normally I'm sure there are many connecting options through Paris but now you will need to find your way to a rail station and do the second half of your journey on a train unless you are lucky enough to find a, probably, very expensive direct option. Slow clap.
The whole point of it makes sense. Up to 2.5 hours. Won’t make a lot of difference in tone to you. Actually will most likely make the journey quicker.

Normally 2 hours before arrive at the airport. Say 1 hour flight, then at least 2 hour layover. 5 hours total. Or arrive at train station 10 minutes before train. 2.5 hours on train or trains, arrive 2 hours before the flight. 4 hrs 40 minutes. Quicker or at least not longer. So where’s the problem?

Agreed it couldn’t work very well in the uk until trains actually stop at an airport from outside the region.

It is a good idea. The majority of times when I have had problems with travel it has been the connecting flight not the long haul flight.

Edited to add that I agree this isn’t not going to have much impact on climate. Just a practical issue.