PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Port & Starboard versus Left and Right
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2022, 05:03
nonsense

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cavuman1
Every day a school day, nonsense! I will say that a ride up Pittsburgh's Mt. Washington on the funicular leads to an Italian restaurant (name forgotten) which served the best martini I have ever had. The veal Marsala was excellent as well. Though Pittsburgh is a fine town, I'd prefer to make port in, say, Barbados.

- Ed
Drifting sharply off topic, I've never been to Pittsburgh; I've been to Barbados (in 1971), but I chose to visit Cincinnati again for five weeks last fall (September) to escape the last of the Australian winter. After 17 years since I was last there quite a lot has changed. It's a terrible pity the inclines at Price Hill or Mt Adams are long gone.

Vaguely back on topic, in the car industry (or the minor backwater of it that I worked for, GM-H), while we didn't use port and starboard, we used left and right defined the same way - while facing forward - and all parts which had left and right side versions had sequential odd and even part numbers. Thus the left side part had an odd part number, while the right side part was numbered one higher to achieve a matching even part number. A supplier I later worked for used the same system.