PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Passenger Limit in Australia
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2022, 19:32
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
If the C208 is owned by my company, it is classed as a passenger transport operation.
Yes (unless (a), (b) or (c) applies).

LB, I’m thinking that there is no passenger limit for my privately operated C208. If it’s owned by my company it’s a moot point based on the above paragraph.
If it's classed as a "passenger transport operation", how can the PIC be the holder of only a private licence?

If the C208 is owned by a company, the only circumstances in which the aircraft can be flown with any passengers without the operation being classed as a "passenger transport operation" are those in (a), (b) and (c). Best to look at the definition of the term in (b).

A type rated Boeing 747 PPL can fly with 400 POB so long as its a private flight ... no paying punters!
That's a circular argument. Whether it's a "passenger transport operation" in which a private licence is not sufficient depends on things like whether the registered operator is an individual or a corporate entity and, if the registered operator is an individual, whether that individual is being carried as a passenger.

Just ****en tell us LB, you're the lawyer.
The new rules produce such bizarre outcomes for different scenarios with no obvious safety justification that my brain is no longer big enough to know.

(PS: Under the new rules, "passenger transport operations" are subject to either Part 121 or Part 135.)

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 7th Dec 2022 at 19:56. Reason: Added the PS.