PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female wannabe - honest advice please.
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2022, 22:40
Truebluegirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow - I didn't expect so many responses to my thread - thank you all so much for everyone's valuable input! I will definitely start by getting my Class 1 medical and then get a feel for things in terms of training for a PPL. There are a couple of well regarded flight schools/clubs where I live, so I have a couple of options there.

I am not super academic - would this hold me back? I am a trained primary teacher, and had to do a quite a few English and maths tests to train for that. I am not afraid of doing tests as long as I have the materials to practice.

As far as I understand. there are two main routes to go down - an integrated ATPL course which basically gets you up and running within 18-24 months. I understand that this is the quickest route, and you don't need any prior flying experience. Unfortunately those flight schools are quite far away from where I am in the UK. The nearest being 2 hours away (doable but I think the onus is on you being away and staying there). The other main one is L3 Harris. They advertise quite heavily but from my research I need to avoid this one like the plague. Perhaps going down the modular route would be a better for me? Can somebody please explain how a modular route differs from an integrated ATPL? The other alternative is a degree based course with gives you a license (from my research not many options with this one).

I would like to get as many licences are I can (not just UK). Also, I would be very interested to hear about the job market at the moment. I am very concerned I won't end up employed after all my training (although L3 Harris do say they have fantastic links with the major airlines). My child would be at an adult by the time I finish, so I would have some freedom to move countries etc for employment purposes if this was the case.

Finally, I would love to hear about the general life of an airline pilot. I understand it's a very general question depending on the airline you work for, but it would still be very interesting to know. How long are your layovers? When you are employed, do you need to stay with that airline a certain number of years? What are your work patterns like? Can a first officer start off doing long-haul? TIA.