PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407 in-flight tail boom separation
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2022, 21:44
wrench1

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by helispotter
Where did you read the observations that two nuts/bolts were over torqued and the other under torqued?
As mentioned, in the Public Docket linked here below. I believe it was in line item 2 report.
https://data.ntsb.gov/Docket?ProjectID=105233
it may well have deformed and so any post-accident torque check would no longer be representative of the torque this bolt had been set to when last checked,
Doubtful. The fuselage side longeron fittings failed due to the fitting bolt torque holding them in place. In my experience either the bolt deforms/breaks or the structure deforms/breaks. In this case the structure lost so same torque should be on those remaining bolts. I will add, torquing these bolts is a pain as you have both high torque and thread engagement requirements in a very tight area.
the upper LHS bolt shank didn't exert any significant pull on fuselage side flange (if the shank was even still in place) as that was the one flange that still remained attached to the fuselage wreckage
FYI: the fuselage tailboom mount flange was ripped out and is still bolted to the tailboom minus the upper LH bolt. The nuts face forward so the attached broken fittings are the fuselage side. The Docket has better pics but you can see this in the OP pic.