PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407 in-flight tail boom separation
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2022, 20:43
helispotter

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by wrench1
...Given the airframe tailboom ring is pulled forward and the upper L/H hardware missing, my guess would be that after the upper bolt failed in tension the remaining bolt shank captured the ring as the boom fell away. The fact they found exhaust traces between the faying surfaces of both mount rings at the upper L/H bolt hole would indicate to me it had been "loose" for a period time. The docket also mentioned the upper and lower R/H nuts were over torqued and the lower L/H nut under-torqued.
wrench1: Where did you read the observations that two nuts/bolts were over torqued and the other under torqued? I couldn't find this in the NTSB report I provided a link to. In any case, given the additional loading on the lower LHS bolt once the upper LHS had separated, it may well have deformed and so any post-accident torque check would no longer be representative of the torque this bolt had been set to when last checked, and it could be expected to then have a (much) lower torque. Also, the upper LHS bolt shank didn't exert any significant pull on fuselage side flange (if the shank was even still in place) as that was the one flange that still remained attached to the fuselage wreckage.