PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW109 Trekker Operating Info
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2022, 20:53
gipsymagpie

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by helichris
I'm guessing the role is to haul people around which is pretty much what everybody does with a helicopter.
I'd argue that's just one possible role for those three aircraft types. Off the top of my head: EMS, power line inspection, camera ship, load lifting. All have wildly different requirements.

And since your statement is generic about helicopters, let's add firefighting, SAR, special operations, mine hunting, attack, intelligence gathering, HHO, HEC etc etc So no, moving people is not what everyone does with a helicopter.

Anyway, back on topic...

My opinion of the Trekker having seen one (simplified A109S) and flown a reasonable amount in E/S models is that the A109 is great at going in straight lines VFR but the AP in the EC135 is superior on the FCDS version and in a whole other class on the Helionix 135. The A109 has some very serious cross coupling that the Sperry AP could barely overcome and there are no protections in it - it will quite happily take you into vortex ring should you set an inappropriate power - the EC135 protects from that in both FCDS and Helionix forms. Not sure about the 4 axis 109 system but the Helionix 135 AFCS is class leading. Pilot wise it would be a 135T3H. I find the 429 autopilot and interface to be too complex for achieving simple stuff (eg Altitude change is 6 button presses versus 2 on 135). The flight director setup on 429 is also completely pointless in my opinion.

The A109 does have a much more cramped cockpit than the EC135 or Bell 429.

Cabin wise, the Bell 429 is best with huge opening and full height cabin all the way back (not so for the EC135). Windows are bigger too. I prefer the flat floor for 135 and 429 cabin too. I prefer the sliding cabin on the 109 versus the hinged version.

In terms of servicability, our 109 were pretty reliable but as mentioned above seem to pickup snafu with water ingress. Never had a problem on either 429 or 135 with that. Leonardo spares supply was a bit patchy I recall and I know of one gearbox workshop that has about 10 gearboxes awaiting spares before going back into aircraft. But that wasn't really my side of the house.

In summary, as a pilot I'd want a Helionix 135 (with the 3100 kg AUM). Passenger, I would want a 429. Engineer probably the 135 or 429 but probably leaning to the 135 as the tail rotor on 429 causes problems due to the vibration (bonding leads, TGB mounting etc).

And I'd want it in matt metallic dark silver - see PH-WTG in the Netherlands.