PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA CPL Flight Test
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2022, 19:18
Duck Pilot

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by glenb
Generally as part of the training towards the CPL, you would have done a pre license test prior to the recommendation. A properly conducted pre license at any reasonable school would have included a practice run checking all your competencies, from both the theoretical and practical components. The theory component would have taken approximately three hours and covered the points on the forms.

If you haven't done that, then personally i would put a hold on the test and book in for a check of your theory by an instructor. You might get charged for the instructor's time, but at this stage I would suck it up and do it. The cost of a failed test before you walk out to the aircraft will still cost you around $700 i suggest.

The Examiner will be checking that you are able to correlate and apply your information by presenting scenarios to you. Rather than ask you to list the mandatory instruments he may include some unserviceability's when he sets up the scenario. The point being that you will really need to have a good working knowledge of the requirements.

If you're not completely comfortable with weight and balance for your aircraft get completely comfortable. Many candidates get unnecessarily bogged down on the more challenging minimum fuel and weigh balance scenarios. When they present that back to the Examiner and its well executed the test generally runs smoothly from there on.

When that's messy, and the Examiner gets bogged down trying to unravel it, and the whole test tends to go south.

I assuming its still the same as it was a few years ago, the Examiner has to also go through all the deficiencies from your CPL KDRs, so make sure you've written a paragraph or so against each of those topics.

I'm not trying to rattle you, but I am a little concerned. I really sound as though you may not be as prepared as you should be. Consider approaching the Examiner and asking him for 15 minutes of his time prior to the test. Ask him for a brief overview and ask him for feedback on what he most commonly finds as the deficiencies on a test. Most Examiners will be keen to make the day rum smoothly and appreciate the opportunity to give you some guidance. Also, a great ice breaker if you haven't had much to do with the Examiner to date.

Good luck with it and please let us know once you've knocked it off. Cheers. Glen
Probably the best advice from someone who knows.

Pity the regulator doesn’t think the same way.

Good on you Glen and I hope you’re now doing well.