PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA CPL Flight Test
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2022, 05:51
phlegm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mmm345
As previous people have indicated, the ground component will normally follow the structure of the ground component of the test form and most examiners, follow that in order.

A): Privileges and limitations of CPL: Found in Part 61
b) Requirements for an AOC: Found in the regs
c) Classification of operations: Private and then ensure up-to-date with P121/P135 Air transport and the differences between.
d) Types of information contained in the operations manual: Know the structure and what is included in each section. The examiner wants to know that you understand that when you are employed, where to go to find certain information
e) Flight and Duty: See applicable 48.1 Appendix, know single pilot air transport
f) DAMP: See DAMP regulations, CASA medicine list, when to see DAME with injury Class 1 etc.
g) Day VFR INstruments: See Part 91 and Part 135 dependent on type of operations, however, know both
h) emergency equipment requirements: See part 91 and P135 ( MOS?), note the differences in requirements between the two for lifejackets, liferafts, ELT, Survival Kit etc
i) ALA's: See the ( now repealed) CAAP on ALA requirements and suggesstions
j) GNSS: Know its use in VFR Nav, RAIM, Satellites, Its use etc
k) Fuel planning: Know company and legislation ( Part 91/135) requirements for fuel reserves/alternates etc
l) Loading unloading fuel: Know drum practices, distances for buildings etc, water drains, See Part 91 MOS for some legislation, watch CASA videos on Drums, etc
m) Managing pax/cargo: See MOS/Part 91/135. Think pax in control seats, number of pax, seatbelts, cargo on seats, floor loading, carriage of animals, carriage of infants, when pax cant be carried etc
N) loading system: performance charts
o) propeller system: Assuming CSU equipped for a CPL test, know the theory of its design, what will happen should certain components fail etc
P) Per/Loading: performance charts for the flight
q) Maintenance: Know Schedule 8 pilot Maintenace and Schedule 7 ( cant do maintenance)
R) Speed: Memory items for speeds
s) Aircraft systems: Knowledge of the Section 7 of aircraft Flight manual

Overall, they are looking for the competency of knowledge of being a commercial pilot. They want to know that you know the stuff that you may need on a daily basis in an air transport operation and always where to look for items that you might need to look up in a certain situation. It is perhaps better to indicate that you would look something up however my educated guess is .... rather than just blurting out a very incorrect answer but sounding confident in that at the same time.

In general, treat it as a conversation regarding commercial operations and a discussion where you demostrate your knowledge, rather than a formal interview.
Thanks for this post, I'm in a similar situation as the OP and this is the single most helpful post about the flight test I've read. I'm aware of the flight test form, but you've brought up little details I hadn't considered yet. Appreciate the response.