PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female wannabe - honest advice please.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2022, 19:15
Truebluegirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Female wannabe - honest advice please.

Hi Everyone.

Great to be here. I'm looking for some really honest advice (good or bad). I'm a 40 year old female who for the past couple of years has had this vision of training to be a pilot. I'm very fit and train at least 5 times a week. I'm not one of those people who has wanted to do this from a young age, or even have any friends/family who are pilots. I don't know if I'm in the minority there. I just love travel and airports! I can't even explain the feeling of being in different airports and watching the pilots thinking how amazing it would be to do their job. Perhaps I'm having some kind of mid-life crisis, but I just have had this strong urge to do it. Education wise, I'm a primary trained teacher. I'm okay with maths and sciences, but not super amazing. In the future I would also like to live in a different country as a base. Is this possible with being a pilot?

I'm in such a fortunate position right now that I have the funds to do it - I got lucky with crypto a few years ago, so I'm financially secure. I'm a single parent to a 14-year-old. What is massively putting me off is being away for very long periods of time with the training. My child attends a private school, so boarding is an option and she is getting older and more mature.

Am I mad to even be considering this? What would your advice be for somebody like me. Is it a really bad time to try and get into aviation right now? I'm thinking of trying to get my PPL in the summer as a starting point. TIA.