PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2022, 12:55
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
I can remember military flying from Bovingdon in the early '50s, mostly Meteors, Dakotas, Ansons and the occasional Vampire, the approaches for civil and other military aircraft being mostly out or our eyesight where we lived in Chesham at the time which was on low ground adjacent to the cricket and football fields (which both still exist) but a house move in about 1954 to higher ground to the north west of Chesham meant we had a much better view of other traffic.
I do however remember one momentous sight from this earlier home; I heard a noise, looked outside and glimpsed a large aircraft with '6 propellors facing backwards' heading in the general direction of Bovingdon; on running indoors to tell my older brother, he hit me saying I was lying! I don't for one minute expect a B36 actually landed at Bovingdon, it must have just been a flypast for some reason
Addirionally from that era before '54, the noise of an approaching Meteor with its engines slightly out of sync produced a wailing noise which, to a 3/4 year old, I found frightening and I would run indoors and hide - until the day my brother locked me out in the garden and I realised it would not harm me!

Last edited by chevvron; 1st Dec 2022 at 13:31.