PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former soldier convicted of manslaughter in NI troubles 1988
Old 30th Nov 2022, 17:23
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Considering there is still resentment between pro and anti treaty groups from a century ago and with the red white and blue curb Stones across the border I would guess not a great deal except the vast scandals of kiddie fiddlers being exposed has changed the mentality in the south amongst many.
But it’s an Ireland fraught with organised crime on all levels.
A couple of years ago I was forced to stop because someone thought I was spying on criminal activities- I explained who I was and what I was doing and went on my way.
I asked my pal who was head of military intelligence although I didn’t know that at the time (but guessed having been intercepted by special branch and SBS in the past); he came back to me that the powers that be allow that activity because it’s better than stopping it and the criminals diversifying.
In his last year he revealed his position but while he had shared his intelligence with the Gardi it wasn’t reciprocated.

Sunday Carlingford had a demonstration with cars from both sides of the border ..protesting about Ukrainian male refugees being housed locally, although the cafe proprietor and staff thought that these protesters were a disgrace.

It’s a land of contradictions and many I meet from both sides wouldn’t dream of crossing the border except for a budget flight.

It’s a great place to retire as long as one keeps one nose out of politics, church and corruption.