PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan To Fly Again
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2004, 20:41
forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pessimists who say that the Vulcan will never fly again quote ‘the complexity of the aircraft’. Sure, it was complex when it was in front-line service, but to fly at air displays?

What systems could be disabled, removed, capped off, whatever and thus simplify the whole exercise. Presumably the pressurisation and conditioning system won’t ever be needed again - there goes a half ton of bleed valves and piping. And with no pressurisation then door seals etc, with half perished rubber, aren’t critical. Apart from an Intercomm and VHF no ‘avionics’ are needed – GPS will get the aircraft anywhere it needs to be.

There’s no reason to carry rear crew members, and both pilots would, presumably, have serviceable ejector seats. The alternators and DC can be brought on line by the crew chief after start so there’s no reason for anyone at the AEO’s station. No further activity needed from there - or am I wrong on this one?

Landing gear? I wouldn’t have thought this was beyond full scale maintenance today. I doubt if the required O rings and seals have changed much.

So, apart from engines and engine driven accessories which I believe are a’plenty, what other ‘major’ items does this leave.

I’d imagine that the PFCU’s (Powered Flying Control Units) are the problem. These are unique to the Vulcan, manufactured, I think, by Boulton Paul – no longer around.

Is there anyone there who could give a thumb nail sketch of what the master plan might be?