PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What have you seen in an unusual place??
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2022, 17:48
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by treadigraph
Hartington, that would likely be one of Hank Wharton's Connies, if memory serves they were "Mauritanian registered" and at least one carried a lashed up Nigerian registration I think. He was quite a character and had a colourful career post Biafra.
Originally a TAP aircraft, sold off to Wharton in 1968, it was pursued at various points around Europe when it came, generally due to unpaid bills, but ended up back in Portugal at Faro, where it was finally either seized or had a major breakdown. Converted around 1980 to a bar outside the terminal there, quite nicely restored, many must have seen it there, as I did in 1982, when alas it was not open until later that evening. I did finger the props however !. Returning around 1999 it had gone, but on the road to Albufeira resort there was a scrapyard with what was undoubtedly a Connie tail on top of the piles of scrap.

His other ex-TAP Connie I also saw, that ended up in Malta, where it was restored to a bar as well, off airport (how did it get there ?), ending up scrapped on a similar timescale.