PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former soldier convicted of manslaughter in NI troubles 1988
Old 28th Nov 2022, 20:36
Just This Once...

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Una Due Tfc
In this particular case, a soldier fired a bullet brief 3-round burst into the back of road [nearly 300m away] a [ricochet of which] hit [a] civilian, and [after trying the case again] the [latest] judge deemed he was lying to protect himself. I think the right verdict was reached [in at least one of the prosecutions], but I certainly bear no angry intentions or feelings for him.
Some small edits for consideration but I appreciate the calm comments and your caveat; but I am British and I think you have been far too lenient of the role of the British State, who played a massive role in putting the young soldier at that scene. The choices made to place him and that fully loaded weapon system on that arc of fire in a residential area were not made by him. When 'we' (the State) place soldiers, sailors and airmen in unique circumstance, armed and under potential threat, the State should own part of that risk and not load it all onto 1 soldier, especially one who had been tried and punished previously for his actions.