PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2022, 14:09
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Brewster Buffalo
We must not forget for all the success the Ukrainians have had Russia is a much larger country and as such has greater resources and, in a war of attrition, they will come out on top. Historically in wars Russia starts badly but in the long term they get better.
For all the points you raise, I believe the West should give Ukraine the means to strike deep into Russia.

However tempting a deep strike into Russia would be an escalation and the reluctance of the West to provide the appropriate weapons is probably a reflection of that concern
The current status quo of Ukraine fighting a defensive war (in which I include the offensives within its own borders) while Russia can stay out of harm's way, inflicting long term destruction and casualties via long-range strikes, only plays to the Kremlin's advantage, as far as I can see. As the war is currently playing out, Russia has no reason to seek an end to it. The only way that can happen, is if the West provides Ukraine with the means to inflict damage on Russia itself.