PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former soldier convicted of manslaughter in NI troubles 1988
Old 28th Nov 2022, 11:14
_Agrajag_

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Una Due Tfc
What other methods did you have in mind Nutloose? Bare in mind Catholics were not allowed vote, and their initially peaceful protests were attacked by the RUC. That's one of the reasons why the Army were originally sent in, to protect the Catholic population from the RUC and vigilante attacks.

I don't don't everyone in Britain has a full idea of how discrimated against and subjugated the Cathlic population of NI was in the run up to the Troubles.
Well said.

I still find it astonishing that so many people have no understanding at all of the position of the, then minority, catholic population in NI, or that in 1969 the army went in to protect them from protestant attacks. As you so rightly say, catholics were a persecuted minority there at that time, that had to endure constant threats and goading from a small, but very powerful, group of protestant extremists.

I had the misfortune to work at an establishment where the civilian admin bloke was one of that protestant minority. I can clearly remember being at a barbecue with that man espousing his view that all catholic babies should be spit roasted, to rid the land of their scourge. Not said by him in in fun, either. The fact that no one batted an eyelid when he said this says it all, really.