PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former soldier convicted of manslaughter in NI troubles 1988
Old 27th Nov 2022, 19:16
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
As an outsider to the whole NI situation and its history....I see parallels at the individual level that relates to other events where Soldiers are involved in the taking of life.

There are volumes of laws, treaties, and conventions along with military law, and Rules of Engagement that a instruct us on how a War must be fought.

War and its cousins is a miserable thing, brutal, and can never be executed in a perfect manner for any number of reasons.

We are sent from our home and hearth at the order of our government and many times under very dubious reasons and later we find perhaps not very honorable ones at that.

Then we find we might be fighting not only our designated enemy but our own Chain of Command for really questionable reasons.

Northern Ireland is no different in that and the British Army is no different than other Armies.

The way to Peace, genuine Peace is Northern Ireland is beyond most of us to design.

That will have to be done by the People there....as they have to live with one another.

From my visits to Vietnam as a tourist confirm the benefits that accrue from meeting with your old adversaries.

I have watched some severely affected Soldiers and Marines who experienced brutal close quarters combat and who carried the hidden scars of those experiences find some closure and release as a result of those encounters with former enemies.

It does not erase what happened before but with years to reflect upon it all then meet your opponents who also suffered those same kinds of hidden wounds.....it does promote healing.

War changes you....and places burdens on you that those that have not had that experience cannot understand.

Sitting around Legion Bar or sitting at an. outdoor patio of a Vietnamese Bar with former NVA and VC Soldiers....the stories were interesting and helped heal some old wounds.

One thing I learned is you cannot fight your way to peace.