PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former soldier convicted of manslaughter in NI troubles 1988
Old 27th Nov 2022, 18:03
_Agrajag_

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by melmothtw
Responded to thread on this issue not that long ago at NI Troubles amnesty plan changes. but was roundly shouted down by the likes of Helpful Stacker, Crab, and Nutloose for suggesting that British soldiers shouldn't be granted a general amnesty, and that historical allegations should be investigated and justice done. Happy to be vindicated.
I believe that this is one of those impossible situations, where there is no just or fair outcome that could be accepted by all parties involved. It was a tragedy for the young man that was shot, and for his family, as well as for the young soldier. If anyone, for one moment, thinks that this soldier hasn't already suffered for his actions when he was 19 years old then they really need their bumps felt.

Years ago I met a former soldier that had been involved in the fatal shooting of some young lads that had stolen a car and driven through a check point in NI. He was manning the checkpoint and, along with his colleagues fired at the car. I don't think it was ever proven which of the SLRs had fire the fatal rounds, but that was irrelevant. When I met him, some 20 odd years later, he had been struggling with the consequences of that incident for years, and clearly wasn't at all well. Under the policy that seems to apply now there is every chance that this incident could come before the courts, much as the one in this thread has.

There are times when I wish that we had the US concept of a statute of limitations, beyond which all we can do is strive to get people to forgive each other for tragic mistakes made in the past. It seems to me, as someone that is part Irish, that the biggest single problem is the few who keep dragging up events from the past to justify their ongoing tit-for-tat actions. If the peace keeping activities in NI had been a war, then I believe that in many ways forgiveness would be easier. A former colleague travelled to the Falklands this year and met Argentinians that had killed his mates. For him, this was cathartic, and laid to rest some of the ghosts that have plagued him since 1982, and he came back noticeably changed. It is a great shame we seem to struggle to do the same for all those involved in the NI conflict.