PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Congratulations on the Payrise (Paycut)
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2022, 11:51
roll_over

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDRT22
I would have asked my uncle if I could, but I can't. He passed away few years ago due to some health issue unfortunately.
Honestly, I'm really interested in being a pilot. My uncle taught me a little bit about flying when we were traveling and I love it. I really enjoy the whole process, so he adviced me to join Dragonair not Cathay because of the work nature and the culture, but I ended up choosing Uni over the cadet opportunity because I think God for bid if something happen I still have a Degree to fall back on.

I'm 24 now working in banking industry, I am making 50K/month plus around 20K incentives, so takes home roughly about 70K, thanks to my recruiter who fought hard for me! My recruiter also said to me there is a massive room for me to growth, if I work hard, I could receive a promotion in 6 months, and my salary will also goes up to 60K or more. Now, after somebody told me, oh you can't fly if you are a Second Officer because of license restriction, you have to wait for 3/4/5 years before they allow you to touch the stick, and it is not guarantee, plus, the minimum hours, the productivity hours... I am like, so I have to invest so much energy and time just to sit here and watch somebody to fly and at the same time keep tracking with my hours to make sure I meet their requirement? Hell No. I am not stupid!

But thank you so much for the input. You guys really help me to make my decision. Much appreciated!

In your current role you have leverage, the harder you work the more you make. As a pilot you have zero leverage, if you work hard and are a good operator you get nice scores on some report cards but you don’t make more unless you get upgraded or go into training. As a pilot your job is to not mess up, that’s it.