PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ever have that nagging feeling your meals on exercise or ops are cheap
Old 26th Nov 2022, 20:51
gums

Received 56 Likes on 17 Posts
Salute!

SAS has it right about the extent the U.S. army went thru to get a decent meal for the troops for Thanksgiving. Due to my timing, I had three of those meals in SEA and best one was close to where he flew outta. Was at Bien Hoa.

The freeze dried things known as LRRP's were actually quite good and my favorite was turkey tetrazine, or something like that. Our USAF dining hall was normally quite good, so only time we saw those LRRP's was when staying with the special forces Army folks or when we had them at our place as part of an exchange program we had in III Corps.

Worse for my unit was a training TDY to a "bare base" back in the states. Being in special ops then, my unit "joined" (camped out) with the snake eater types, and had sorry excuses for "hot meals". All of us would rather have had the LRRP's.

Second worse TDY food was the "in flight meals" they gave us when we ferried our jets across the pond to SEA . The logistics folks didn't realize we were not in a huge cargo plane and had no running water, a john or flight attendants. So they gave us "box lunches"!! One hop we had fried chicken that was quite tasty, but the damned crumbs clogged the valves in your oxygen mask and the life support troops hated all the work they had to do that night.

The good news of those days, however, was development of great freeze-dried camping/survival packages and the stuff for the space program.

Gums sends...