PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of the trim wheel
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2004, 16:42
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's a V1 tailplane BTW
A VI (not V1) tailplane is a Variable Incidence tailplane. It's used on most airlines, and also on the humble Piper Super Cub (and I think all Cubs, and probably a few others as well).

There is no separate trim tab. Instead, the trim wheel changes the angle of incidence of the whole of the tailplane. The advantage of this type of trim system is that the elevator should, with no stick force being applied, line up with the forward part of the horizontal stabiliser, thus giving you less drag than the C172 design (where the elevator will have a very large angle of attack in some attitudes) or even the PA28 design (where the trim tab will have a large angle of attack).
As for the anti-servo type used on the PA28 all flying tail - I've no idea. It probably wouldn't work at all as an elevator in the event of the all flying tail becoming jammed
Well, the text books say that it would work in the oposite sense, just the same as for the C172, but I'm not going to be the one to test it out in practice!

FFF
-------------