PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not-so-woke Reds
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2022, 19:28
langleybaston

Received 742 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
Which is why, in the 80s, a whole bunch of GD(ATC) officers went to do 'other things' to release expensive Aircrew into the wild [sorry, wide blue yonder]. A bunch of us ended doing Int, Arms Control, Water Plans and Policy and other stuff. Pay Pilots extra, go and be a Pilot.

Support staff was always deemed a luxury by Establishment Reviews. Whata a mistaka to makea.
Establishment Reviews always assumed that the station/ section was trying to pull a fast one, thus the only survival tactic was to try to pull a fast one.
In my little world a 24/7/356 Met Office needed 6 forecasters to keep one on duty permanently/ allow 30 minute handovers, 6 weeks leave, professional courses, often a lecturing commitment and [negligible] sick leave.
We usually got 5.6 forecasters, a totally false economy because gapping was unforgiveable [it NEVER EVER HAPPENED] so Joe Bloggs was sent from another station costing travel, subsistence and all the rest. Meanwhile Bloggs's station racked up so much potential "Long Hours Gratuity" for the survivors that a third station became involved to save the cost of paying out.
I know well that this does not fit the military model but illustrates that bean counters ruled then, rule now and make for inefficiencies and indeed safety hazards.

The only area that was cut a little slack was RAFG, simply because of the logistics of reinforcing from UK.

Establishers? I've shat them.