PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ever have that nagging feeling your meals on exercise or ops are cheap
Old 25th Nov 2022, 17:22
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Jobza,

Accept my apologies I did not mean to demean the rating system.

My experience with US Army leaves me a bit confused.

I started my field chow eperience with Marmite Cans and hot cans of juice as the plastic bottle had not been invented at that time. That lukewarm chow was very similar to what was served in the unit Messhall...just thrown into insulated containers and trucked to the field for consumption what seemed like a week after.

Then upon reaching the two way shooting range in a beautiful tropic paradise....we moved to the old fashioned "C Ration" (Meals, Combat, Canned). some of which dated back to just before the start of the Korean War.

After several month they actually became quite edible, well some versions were anyway.

I shall have to admit Ham and Pinto Beans, Pork and Scalloped Potatoes, took some effort to down....and the Sphagetti and Meatballs consumed cold took a very tough hungry Solider. The Peaches, Pears, Pound Cake were pretty good. We would fist fight to get the Beans and Franks B-2 Meal that had cheese and cracker in it.

Then we discovered LRRP Rations known as LURPS.....which were quick frozen meals that only required the addition of water to make them edible. Chicken and Rice was the favorite.

Finally....along came the infamous MRE style of combat ration.....commonly known as "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians" by the Troops.

I so worry about the health and well being of today's troops that have to live on those thing for more than one meal.

The worst thing I have ever been offered to eat is the MRE is "Pork with Jamaican Jerk Spice added"..... No one in their right. mind would ever eat that.

The one thing we did right in the Army in those days was try the best we could to get a proper Thanksgiving Dinner to every Soldier in the field....and laid on extra flght sorties to accomplish that....most times being involved in the flying I ate C rations as we did not have time to stop for a proper meal.

Last night while enjoying a wonderful meal with some friends.....I thought back to those days in. combat and how much that hot meal meant to the Soldiers in the Bush....and the smiles we saw all around us while we were being unloaded by the Human Ant Column work party.