PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Congratulations on the Payrise (Paycut)
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2022, 04:59
Babyjet_dododo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veryoldchinahand
Did i mention that the inflation was less than 10% Menelaus ?
My point being that few major employers can afford pay increases equal to the inflation rates being experienced across many continents.

You may have read that half of UK workforce will be on strike prior to Christmas asking for ridiculously high and unaffordable pay increases which will achieve nothing positive as employers cannot afford to pay.

The reason why you diehard Cathay haters post the nonsense that you do has in my opinion little or nothing to do with pay or much else and much and more to do with venting your frustrations and unbridled dislike for Cathay and the fact that the airline is rebuilding fast ,living within its means, expanding and employing thousands.

Our youngest boy finishes school next year is then going to flight school, then to university and if all goes will intends on to fly for the airline. This without a shred of encouragement from us in fact the opposite with the insistence on a university degree being ours. He is just one of 3 HK born to expats in his year intending to fly for Cathay.
I mention this as only to illustrate that it is very unlikely that Cathay will experience a pilot shortage going forward local or otherwise

okay, a 17 year old wants to be a pilot. This is also the dream for many young people but if he thinks it’s a viable career then that’s where you as a parent failed. Pay at CX is trailing experience and will get worse and worse as time marches on, for example, 10 years working for CX, a person will be an FO2 which is approximately x1.5 the pay of an SO which, accounting for inflation is still not that much (Excluding pilot allowance). Whereas a lawyer, finance or an IT professional working their way through their chosen career will be making a lot more in 10 years than what a CX pilot makes.

Example: Friend joined HSBC in financial planning at the same time I joined CX. He started on approximately $50k per month, he now has a team working for him and pulls in $200k per month.

Being a pilot is no longer a “lucrative” career and very limited earning potential and the inability to negotiate his own terms and remuneration. When your child realises that, it might be too late to start over again.

Last edited by Babyjet_dododo; 25th Nov 2022 at 05:39.