PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle-10
Thread: Newcastle-10
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2022, 22:25
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aegean

Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
I would be thinking more about getting the early morning flights to the islands, rather than the ferry. Aegean/Olympic and SkyExpress have a large wave to the islands departing ATH about 7 am or 8 am
Worth noting that Aegean have a flight departing Heathrow at 22:15, arriving Athens 03:50 - it departs daily, even in January and February.
I certainly used the BHX service when it operated with onward connection early morning to Rhodes. Lets say I won't be doing it again after getting a a right ear-bashing from the rest of the family as the outbound was just horrible. Departed BHX around 22:45 and arrived around 4am local time and I fell into the trap of going for the cheapest option to save around £250 and opted for the 7.30am connection rather than 6am one and what a mistake. Everything was closed until 6am yet some flights were departing at that time and there were hardly any seats with loads of people lying on the floor. This was then followed by a connection onto a Dash 8 .

Even the return didn't work out as I opted for the 10am departure from Rhodes to give us time to nip into Athens on the way back before the return to BHX but two of the party were unwell and all decided to abandon the trip leaving around 7 hours airside but we did get a break as non-schengen we were in a quiet spacious part of departures and it was actually quite calming and the better half was able to lay across three seats to rest her back that had gone that morning.

Hopefully the arrivals aspect has improved for those early morning departures from Athens.

This time around Aegean have given BHX a mid-morning departure which is lovely outbound but an early start coming home if you are on one of the islands.

Pete