PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation regulators push for more automation so flights can be run by a single pilot
Old 24th Nov 2022, 12:43
MENELAUS

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
I don’t think even Airbus are advocating no crew up the pointy end. They are just trying to reduce the numbers dramatically. Pro Tem. As for AI etc. It’s currently in its infancy. Therefore I think the only aspect of ‘AI’ being utilised is in the ground phase. The current iteration calls for control from the ground. By experienced people. With the pilot ( or pilots if you have to summon your 200 hr SFI trained colleague) being the back stop.
Note that nothing in the forgoing means that I approve of it, either on safety or moral or career preservation grounds. However, it is being actively looked at…and as I said, conducted on delivery flights. Which are technically not public transport flights. So FTL’s/ other rules don’t necessarily apply.
It remains to be seen how many Authorities sign up to it. EASA land, and the mega mind graduates of the Sorbonne and Paris-Sanclay seem very keen to advance it.
Just because they can, probably.