PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra hours
Thread: Canberra hours
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2022, 11:06
Old_Slartibartfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longer ron
The ejection sequence on Canberras was fairly 'slow' in that upon initiating ejection both the navigators hatch and the pilots canopy were jettisoned (using explosive bolts) and only then could the seat 'fire' out of the aircraft,the canberra (being a first generation jet) had older type ejection seats which did not have rocket packs,therefore any ejections had to be inside the seat limits (ie above a certain height/speed and less than a certain descent rate).
I made a very serious error whilst flying in the left hand rear seat in WT308 (what would normally be the nav seat, but the two B(I)6's we had had been modified for trials work, I was just a flight test observer). After shutting down I went to put the pins back in to find that the hatch wasn't armed. I'd flown the whole sortie with the explosive bolts disabled . . .

The seat rating was, I think, 400/400, i.e. 400ft minimum height AGL, 400kts minimum IAS. I can't remember a descent rate limit, but this was a long time ago, when WT308 and WT309 were still at Farnborough.