PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not-so-woke Reds
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2022, 10:18
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by t43562
Not that this matters but I find this reminds me a lot of the 3rd world that I come from - where rules and standards apply only to the hoi polloi. It's almost the classic response to accusations of corruption back there: "they" (meaning politicians or connected businessmen etc) are too important to have to obey the law, let alone common decencies.
Not sure why anyone would challenge this. It is MoD and Government's formal position that very senior officers cannot be wrong by virtue of their rank, and are not bound by legal obligations.

The most obvious case to most here is Chinook ZD576, but it was repeated again in the case of Jon Bayliss, the Red Arrows engineer killed in 2018.

As to hours worked, especially on additional duties, and the effect on safety, that was front and centre in the Bayliss case as well. The Reds are no longer allowed to work more than six consecutive days, an unheard of luxury to many in MoD. But I'd still prefer them to be allowed to concentrate on their day job, instead of making sandwiches and washing dishes. That applies to all aircrew.