PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 21:14
Wader2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beamr
I read also about different attack profiles (2H etc) and sneaking in fast and low, going vertical and release at whatever height. Then there were the crew specific unofficial escape plans which apparently varied from picking a suitable target to take with the ac to try and reach a comfortable tropical island. Officially I believe the instructions were to find a friendly country and contact air attaches et al in case there was nothing to return to (discomforting thought).
However, were there any preferred/proposed flight profiles with most likely chance to evade the blast after release? In a very short summary: V-force goes in fast and low, a bit of manoeveuring, climb and release and what next?
Or was it more a case of "every crew for themselves, best of luck boys"?
At the risk of repeating something, before the WE177 and the 2F lay down attack we had to drop the YS2 from a pop up manoeuvre. This procedure applied to Victor 1 and Vulcan 1/2 Freefall and Victor and Vulcan BS in unpowered release

The 2E was a low level approach, a popup at about 15 miles and a pushover to level flight at 11 000 feet. It was led refined than the 2H and in training crews often were level at 11 000 feet too early.

The Research Branch scientists devised the 2H for the Vulcan and BS unpowered release. The 2H involved a low level approach to a pull-up point at 350kts, a smooth rotation over 5 seconds, to a precise pitch angle with weapons release at 10 500 feet in the climb.

The distance of PUP to target varied depending on aircraft, engine and weapon. The Mk 1 had a pull-up at over 21 000 yards and the Mk 2/301 engine FF at 18 000 yards. Each type also had a precise pitch angle. I think the Mk 1a was 12 degrees and the Mk 2/301 was 14.

In training and trials release these were I readjusted with the Mk 2 PUP at 18 450 yards and 15 degrees. Release at 10 500 would give a detonation at 103 seconds from PUP.

Immediately after release on 2E or 2H all aircraft were to make a 140 degree turn at 1.75 g while climbing before wings level.

Planned egress routes to NATO territory would pass near specified RV points on the event of bailout. Typically there might be 2 points for any route. Crews were to get to within 1.5 km of the RV and remain there but could forage out to 5 km. In one particular country there were 10 such RV. That is all we were told.