PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation regulators push for more automation so flights can be run by a single pilot
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 21:14
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
Why does my deja vu feeling get active whenever I see this topic come up again? My response is and will continue to be:

- Who is building commercial quantities of these planes? Boeing have announced they are not designing anything until at least 2030 and Airbus' latest product is the A350.
- When freight aircraft are single pilot then passenger planes will follow. Where do freight aircraft come from? See above.
- Technology has to be relevant and affordable for it to be developed into large scale commercially viable projects. In 60 years man went from the Wright Brother to outer space and supersonic commercial flight. In the next 60 years man is still flying commercial airliners that were initially designed during that 60 year period. Technological advances in the last 60 years have just produced more fuel efficient commercial airliners not innovative ones.
- Even if EASA do approve this they are not a worldwide regulator. After the Max grounding I doubt that the FAA or other regulators will be as keen to allow single pilot RPT jet operations through their airspace.